+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bav Terry monster silver and gold pouch

Site Admin Senior member Colchesterhunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Bav Terry monster silver and gold pouch

Another rediculous sized pouch of top keepers, another pouch of the year contender Terry even found the greenie hoard

1150 Stephen hammered silver penny - this appears to be a mule from North 879 and 878
    Obv + STIEFNE
    Rev Cross fleurty with a pile surrounded by a trefoil of annulets in each angle
    Possible Bury St Edmunds mint - GILBERT
    Ref North 879
    18.58mm, 1.38g Sent for recording and confirmed ID
    I have recorded this as EMC 2013.0162. It is a normal coin of Stephen type 6 but the reverse reading is a problem. What letters can you actually read? There is no moneyer named Gilbert in type 6 at present, unless this coin has provided one.
    The bending of the coin may be deliberate, possibly with a votive purpose at this period.
    Best wishes,
    Martin

10-40 AD Cunobelius bronze coin - sent to CCI for recording
    Jupiter Lion type VA 2107
    1.07g, 12.56mm
    ABC 2984 as CCI 13.0096
    John Stills has recorded our last two Celtic bronze coin finds and confirmed my ID's.
    Thanks for the two bronzes, I've recorded the ABC 2921 type as 13.0095 and the Jupiter Lion, ABC 2984 (1.07g) as 13.0096.
    All the best
    John

4thC Roman bronze sent for ID
    17.36mm, 1.16g
    This is a follis of someone from the 2nd tetrarchy - the reverse type is GENIO ... (could be EXERCITVS, IMPERITORI, CAESARIS, AVGVSTI, POPVLI ROMANI or POP ROM )
    Working from the letters in the field: "T - F", under GENIO POPVLI ROMANI there is a single type of Constantine I as Caesar from Lyons. Under GENIO POP ROM there is a large selection of 2nd Tetrarchy folks from Western European mints. I can't be certain the exergual mint mark looks like it could be PLN - in that case, it would be from the mint of London, and selecting for only mint of London GENIO POP ROM's, I find it could be only Maximinus II as Augustus, Constantine I as Augustus or Licinius I. The fragment of legend on the obverse from 11:00 to 1:00 looks like it could be [...LIC] INIVS [PF AVG]
    The other possible mintmarks for T - F fieldmarks in this type would be, basically, PTR or PLG for Trier or Lyon respectively - the same 3 Augusti are the possible issuers for these folles from those mints as well.
    This is a Licinius I from Trier, but with those same field letters, from my collection - I think it's a pretty good match
    This issue dates to 310-313 - I think we can say it's Licinius without too much uncertainty, and the only thing which remains uncertain is the exact mint from which it was issued - could be London, Trier or Lyon (but I lean towards London, although the center letter could be a T, in which case it's Trier)

Stunning decorated circa 8thC Saxon strap end

70BC Morini boat tree Celtic gold qtr stater
    Reported as potential hoard to museum
    1.51g,10.18mm
    CCI 13.0074

Trinovantes British G “Clacton” quarter, Hobbs 192 Celtic gold 1/4 stater 50BC - sent to CCI for recording & reported as potential hoard to museum
    Chris Rudd 23.41 Clacton de Jersey - Classed as scarce
    1.28g,14.25mm
    CCI 13.0053

1697 William III milled silver sixpence - Norwich mint

1280 - 1286 Scottish Alexander III hammered silver half penny - 2nd coinage
    Obv + ALEXANDER DEI GRA
    Rev REX SCOTORUM
    Long cross, a star in two quarters, each star has 6 points - type SA3HD -010
    14.05mm0.58g

4thC Roman bronze sent for ID
    21.29mm ,3.85g
    This is pretty unusual given the sort of material you generally seem to find since it's a good bit later - it appears from the legend to be Gratian - 367-383 and the reverse type is definitely REPARATIO REIPVB with Gratian standing left raising a kneeling female figure - an allegorical representation of "The Republic" - pure propaganda, the Empire was in pretty dire straits at that time and having its lunch-money stolen in the schoolyard daily by every bully on the borders.
    I can't quite make out the mint mark, but the type dates to 378-383.
    Mark

2ndC Roman silver sent for ID
    the broken silver piece will need more study - Sorry to say, this does not "jump off the page" for me. I don't recognize the portrait or even the fragment of legend at first glance. It does seem to be either Roman or Roman-inspired at very least, however - which makes it all the more puzzling for me since I am pretty familiar with the entire field.
    We at least have the benefit of on obviously clean-shaven portrait which significantly narrows-down the field of potential identities.
    Mark

1526 -1544 Henry VIII hammered silver half groat - 2nd coinage
    TC by shield Archbishop Thomas Cranmer
    Rev CIVI/TAS/CAN/TOR - Canterbury mint

'A badge for a Knight of the Order of the Holy Sepulchre in bronze and dating somewhere around C13/14th possibly very slightly later . This is a very scarce item and it relates to The Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem being a Catholic chivalric order of Knighthood that traces its roots to Godfrey of Bouillon, principal leader of the First Crusade. According to reliable sources in the Vatican and Jerusalem, it began in historical reality as a mixed clerical and lay confraternity (association) of pilgrims which gradually grew around the most central of the Christian holy places in the Middle East, the Holy Sepulchre or the tomb of Jesus Christ.This would have been a pin for a member of the order , there is a mark on the reverse where the original pin would have been fixed '
    1stC Roman fibular brooch
    'The Langton Down style was developed in Gaul in the late 1st C BC but saw use in Britain from the time of the Claudian invasion until about 75 AD. The spring on these brooches is enclosed within a distinctive tubing of fairly thin construction.The bow is flat and very thin decorated with grooves and ribs (reeding)'

1. 1562 Elizabeth 1st hammered silver sixpence
    2.1344 Edward III hammered silver Florin penny - Cross 3 Obv EDWAR ANGL DNS HYB Rev CIVI/TAS/LOND/DON - London mint>
    3.1526 -1544 Henry VIII hammered silver half groat - 2nd coinage TC by shield Archbishop Thomas Cranmer Rev CIVI/TAS/CAN/TOR - Canterbury mint>
    4. 1150 Stephen hammered silver penny type 6 EMC 2013.0162.>
    5. 1574 Elizabeth 1st hammered silver penny>
    6.1280 - 1286 Scottish Alexander III hammered silver half penny - 2nd coinage >
    Obv + ALEXANDER DEI GRA Rev REX SCOTORUM Long cross, a star in two quarters, each star has 6 points - type SA3HD -010 14.05mm0.58g>
    7.1215 Henry III hammered silver short cross half penny>
    8. Medieval hammered silver penny>
    9. 16thC Elizabeth 1st hammered silver sixpence>
    10. 1604 James 1st hammered silver half groat>
    11.1351 Edward III hammered silver penny - Pre Treaty Durham>
    Obv annulets to both side of neck Rev annulet in one quadrants>
    12.1247 Henry III hammered silver voided long cross half penny Moneyer Nicole>
    13. 1327 Edward III hammered silver penny - EDW** ANGL DNS HYB >
    Rev CIVI/TAS/LOND/DON - London mint>
    14.1327 Edward III hammered silver penny - Cross 1 Obv EDW** ANGL DNS HYB >
    15. 1247 Henry III hammered silver voided long cross half penny>
    16.Medieval Henry hammered silver groat Rev CIVI/TAS/LOND/DON - London mint>
    17.16th Elizabeth 1st hammered silver penny – illegible mint mark>
    18.Medieval hammered silver penny - quatrefoil to centre of reverse cross- York mint>
    19.1327 Edward III hammered silver penny - EDWA* HYB>
    20. 1553 Mary hammered silver groat

1. 2ndC Roman silver coin
    2.'A badge for a Knight of the Order of the Holy Sepulchre in bronze and dating somewhere around C13/14th>
    3. 10-40 AD Cunobelius bronze coin - Jupiter Lion type VA 2107 CCI 13.0096.>
    4.Gratian Roman bronze coin - 367-383 AD REPARATIO REIPVB>
    5.'A badge for a Knight of the Order of the Holy Sepulchre in bronze and dating somewhere around C13/14th>
    6. 18thc silver clog fastener>
    7.Medieval hammered silver penny>
    8.Roman bronze coin 310-313 AD 2nd tetrarchy - the reverse type is GENIO ... (could be EXERCITVS, IMPERITORI, CAESARIS, AVGVSTI, POPVLI ROMANI or POP ROM )>
    9. 17thC hammered copper trade farthing - illegible>
    10.1946 George VI milled silver florin {24 pence)>
    11. 4 - 1634 Charles 1st hammered copper rose farthings>
    12. 18thC silver Royal Navy button>
    13.Medieval hammered silver penny >
    14. 4thC Roman bronze coin - illegible>
    15.4thC Roman bronze coin - illegible>
    16.1817 George III milled silver sixpence>
    17.1697 William III milled silver sixpence - Norwich mint>
    18.1853 Victoria milled silver shilling>
    19.1843 Victoria milled silver sixpence>
    20.1817 George III milled silver shilling>

1.17thC hammered copper trade farthing - illegible>
    2.8thC Saxon strap end>
    3.Medieval beehive thimble>
    4. Medieval hooked mount>
    5. 1st Langton Down style Roman fibular brooch>
    6.1500-1700 mount>
    7. 3 Georgian thimbles>
    8. Medieval lead mount>
    9.1720-1790 Boot or Garter buckles>
    10.Medieval buckle>
    11. 1500-1700 mount>
    12.17thC hammered copper trade farthing - illegible>
    13.Georgian gilded ring with stone>
    14. 15thC lead token>
    15.1500-1700 mount>
    16. 17thC milled silver shilling - illegible>
    17. Georgian plain silver button>
    18. Illegible silver disc>
    19.Illegible silver disc>
    20. Victorian silver cane trim>

1. 8 – 18th to 20thC copper coins>
    9. 18thc crotal bell>
    10. Copper rod>
    11. 1500-1 7700 mount>
    13. Georgian draw pull>
    15.18thc crotal bell>
    16. Royal fusilier’s badge>
    17.1500-1700 hinge plate>
    18. Iron Age bead>
    19. Medieval buckle>
    20.2ndC Roman fibular brooch Late 1st to 2nd century cast copper alloy head stud brooch>

1. Red Cross enamelled badge>
    2. Possible clock hand>
    4.4thC Roman bronze coin - illegible>
    5.2nC Roman bronze coin - illegible>
    6. 15thC lead token>
    7. Georgian mount>
    8. Army badge>
    9. 2- 1634 Charles 1st hammered copper rose farthing>
    10. Copper rivet>
    11. 15 – Post Tudor buttons>
    17. Iron Age bead>
    18. 18thc apothecary weight>
    19. Victorian key hole cover>
    20. Roman mount>

1.4thC Roman bronze coin – illegible>
    2. 1940 George VI milled silver sixpence>
    3. Georgian hook end>
    4. Georgian eyelet>
    5. Bronze fragment>
    6. Medieval bronze bowl fragment>
    7.17thC cast pewter finial>
    8. Victorian silver trim fragment

Great finds Terry! Well done!

I think you covered it all, Great pouch!!!!

Senior Member Senior member CanTony's Avatar

Drool is all I can say.!

A really great pouch. A nice variety of finds.

amazing pouch!!!! congrats!!!!!!

Senior Member Senior member BostonHeidi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Are you kidding me with this pouch? Is this a collaboration of 12 trips over here all in one or were you here for 2 months?? Wow great job! WTG!